History of the Hebrew University

The official history of the Hebrew University begins at its opening on Mount Scopus by Lord Balfour on 1st April 1925.

However, the foundations were laid much earlier. Before the foundation stone of the University was even laid (in 1918, by Chaim Weizmann) some of the great visionaries of our time foresaw the creation of a State of Israel and planned for the establishment for a centre of academic excellence.

A group of those visionaries became the University's first Board of Governors. It included Chaim Weizmann, Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Martin Buber, Chaim Nachman Bialik, Cyrus Adler, Yehuda Magnes, Ahad Ha'am and Rabbi Avraham Kook.

  • 1882
    1882

    Professor Herman Zvi Shapira proposed the establishment of a university for the Jewish people.

  • 1913
    1913

    11th Zionist Congress passes a motion in favour of the establishment of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem

  • 1918
    1918

    Foundation stones laid on Mount Scopus in the presence of Chaim Weizmann, general Allenby and Jewish leaders

  • 1923
    1923

    Albert Einstein gives inaugural scientific lecture during his only visit to Palestine; also edits the University's first scientific publication.

  • 1925
    1925

    Gala opening of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

    Einstein Institute of Mathematics established

  • 1935
    1935

    HU issues certificates enabling young European Jewish refugees to enter the country and study in Jerusalem.

  • 1936
    1936

    First doctoral degree conferred

  • 1948
    1948

    On 13 April, 77 faculty and staff members of the University and Hadassah Hospital are killed when a convoy to Mount Scopus is attacked.

  • 1949
    1949

    University relocates to makeshift premises throughout Jerusalem.

    Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Faculty of Law and Adult Education Centre established.

  • 1955
    1955

    One-Year Program for overseas students established

  • 1958
    1958

    Dedication of Givat Ram campus

  • 1960
    1960

    Ein Kerem medical campus dedicated

  • 1964
    1964

    Yissum Research Development Company established to patent University research findings and promote University partnerships with industry

  • 1967
    1967

    Jerusalem unified, access to Mount Scopus restored. Renovation of Mount Scopus campus begins

  • 1969
    1969

    Academic activity resumed on Mount Scopus

  • 1975
    1975

    Opening of the Institute for Advanced Studies

  • 1985
    1985

    Opening of the Korest School of Veterinary Medicine

  • 1998
    1998

    Rothberg International School (formerly the Overseas School) moves to the Boyar Building

  • 1999
    1999

    Dedication of the Selim and Rachel Benin School of Engineering and Computer Science

  • 2002
    2002

    Nobel prize in economics awarded to HU alumnus Professor Daniel Kahneman

  • 2003
    2003

    Inauguration of the Edmond J. Safra Campus at Givat Ram

  • 2004
    2004

    HU alumni Professor Avram Hershko and Professor Aaron Ciechanover of the Technion win Nobel prize in chemistry. Nobel prize in physics awarded to HU alumnus Professor David J. Gross.

  • 2005
    2005

    Completion of the five Ginges Computer Centres. Nobel prize in economics awarded to HU Professor Robert J. Aumann.

  • 2006
    2006

    HU Professor Roger Kornberg wins Nobel prize in chemistry

  • 2007
    2007

    Opening of the student village



Their vision was to create the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: an internationally respected academic institution which would serve as Israel's leading educational establishment provide the Jewish people with the cultural, spiritual and intellectual resource of their heritage, and facilitate the training of new generations of scientists, philosophers, statesmen, teachers, agriculturalists and business entrepreneurs for the developing needs of a new nation.

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY: http://new.huji.ac.il/en